Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Sometimes I wonder


I'm about to hit a five month anniversary with my boyfriend.

I find this amusing.

Only because I distinctly remember ringing in this year with a determined, or I guess more of a resignation that I'm not a relationship person after what seems like a circus of trial and errors with the male species.

In fact, when I met Derek I thought to myself, well he's really very sweet, but a relationship of any sorts right at this moment would spell a disaster. I had planned on that one outing which was not a date but a meet and greet courtesy of my friends and his.

Nice southern gentleman, very engaging, very charming.

I just wasn't interested. In fact, I actually remember being purposefully rude because I did not feel like doing the small talk thing. I find that whenever I'm being polite doing the small talk thing most people take it instead that I'm interested when in fact I'm just being polite. So I decided with Derek, why be so pretentious. I'm in an awful mood, he's cute but I'm not interested, so therefore, I will not lead him on.

But he just kept on insisting on talking. And talking. And talking. Before I realized it, I was giving more to my one line answers and then boom! I was laughing.

He was making me laugh and talk more.

But I was adamant to not let it go past that. Told him that I had a lovely time getting to know him but it would probably be a very low chance of me and him crossing paths again since I probably won't get lost on his side of town.

It made God laugh.


One conversation led to another. Mostly fueled by my curiosity as to why he found me so interesting. I just felt like he was listening to every word I say, remembers every detail of our conversation, AND (gasp!) treats me like the ground I walk on turns to some kind of gem.

I don't know why, but I felt like no one has ever taken care of me as much as he has.

And then five months later, he's still here.

Still smiling. Still adoring. Still standing by me.


No comments: